Applying to Doctorate Programs: What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

I've mentioned it a few times on this blog before, but I'll restate it if you didn't read those past posts: my ultimate goal is to get my doctorate and work as a professor. I feel like this is a bit risky with how many higher education institutions are hiring more adjunct faculty than tenure-track faculty, but I firmly believe that it's what I want to do for the rest of my life. When I first started the ISLT master's program here at FSU I figured that I would work in the field for about 2 or 3 years before pursuing a doctorate, but after this pandemic and all of the turmoil that has been wrought because of it I've come to the conclusion that life is too short and I need to go after what I want. So now here I am, looking up potential programs to apply to on my phone while taking breaks during my work day and getting ready to take the GRE all over again. The practice books that I ordered just came in today, in fact, and I am not looking forward to this process at all. I really struggled with the quantitative portion of it when I took it for the first time in 2018 and I can't afford to get another poor score in that section. I did well on the verbal reasoning and writing portions though, so there's that!

It's also stressful to look at programs because there really aren't that many schools that offer Ph.D. programs in instructional design and/or learning technologies, and many of the schools that do are in the middle of nowhere. This really does not bode well for my boyfriend because his field is finance and he should be in a city so that he can get pay that is commensurate with his education (he has a master's in finance from Georgetown University, which was just as expensive as it sounds.) I want to be in a city too because I just prefer an urban environment. However, the schools other than Florida State that are known for their ID programs are Indiana University, Michigan State University, Pennsylvania State University, etc. We can't live in Bloomington, Indiana, or State College, Pennsylvania, for 4 to 5 years. It's just not feasible.

There are some schools in large cities that have ID-adjacent doctorate programs, like Northwestern University's learning sciences program and the University of Pennsylvania's learning technologies and sciences program. I am very interested in both of these schools, but to be honest I am a bit intimidated by them as well. The good news is that both of these programs pay your full tuition for up to 4 years and offer you a living stipend, which I've heard can be hard to get at some schools. However, I'm not going to a doctorate program unless they pay me. I know better!

What are your ultimate career goals in the field of instructional design? Do you have any tips for doing well on the GRE, particularly on the quantitative portion?

Comments

  1. Ahhhh .... always a system of trade-offs. I moved from Chicago to go to IU, and that was difficult, but then it all worked out.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of you right now. I waited 16 years to go back to get my Master's degree (which I am currently pursuing). It was always a dream. I was so excited to start teaching after college that I jumped right into it (I finished high school in 3 years and college in 3 years). I always said I would go back and it took me so long because life got in the way. I am here now and the rush of the love of learning has all flooded back. I just want to be a full time student again! So naturally I want to take every class I can, but I can't. Not enough time (or money). I have thought about a Doctorate afterward also...not sure how I could possibly do it though since I am stubborn and would only want to do it at FSU (once a 'Nole always a 'Nole) and would have to do it online....Good luck with your decision. I feel you on not wanting to take the GRE again. Ugh.....major dislike......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Instructors and Instructional Designers: What's the Difference?

Collaborating with SMEs During the Design Process